The furniture you want to move to your new home has beenchosen. So it’s time to ask the big question: How should you prepare your furniture for storage?
The following steps will (hopefully) guide you through the process.
Step 1. You should clean your furniture before storing it
Cleaning furniture thoroughly is the first step in preparing it for storage. While the items are stored away for months, the dust or dirt that may have been left on their surfaces may cause permanent damage.
How to clean your furniture before placing it in storage
- Use a soft, non-abrasive cloth to remove dust and any loose particles from the furniture surface. Be gentle and avoid pressing or rubbing down the dust particles onto the delicate finish of your furniture.
- Prepare wood furniture for storage by wiping the wooden surfaces gently with a damp cloth after applying a suitable wood cleaning product. To prevent the wood from drying out while the furniture is stored, apply a coat of furniture polish on all wooden surfaces.
- BEFORE STORING LEATHER FURNITURE, vacuum it thoroughly to remove any coarse particles. Then apply a high-quality leather cleaner. To finish the cleaning process, wipe the leather with a dry cloth after some time. Lastly, use a leather protector on the upholstery to keep it looking great for a long time.
- It is recommended to polish all metal parts on your furniture in order to remove the accumulated oxidation.
- BE SURE all furniture items you intend to store are completely dry before packing them. Any moisture trapped in your furniture can eventually lead to mould growth.
Step 2. Pack your furniture for storage
Packing furniture for storage is the second step in the preparation process. By doing a good job here, you will ensure that your pieces will remain perfectly protected for as long as you need them to.
How to wrap furniture for storage
- It may be easier and safer to pack, transport, and store the separate pieces of the largest furniture you own if it is disassembled. You will also be able to utilise the storage space more efficiently thanks to the smaller size of the disassembled parts, along with better protection for your possessions.
- To keep dust, dirt, and moisture out of your furniture, wrap it in (furniture) blankets, bed sheets, large pieces of cloth, or other suitable furniture covers. As well as protecting your wood or leather furniture from accidental scratches and dents, these materials allow the air to circulate freely around, thereby preventing moisture accumulation and mould growth.
- Your furniture pieces should be protected from all protruding parts, such as legs, arms, ornaments, etc. Put bubble wrap over those fragile elements after wrapping them with soft padding (blankets, clothes).
- Bubble wrap should never be placed directly over delicate surfaces such as wood or leather. This can cause condensation, which can lead to mould and mildew growth. Plastic wrap (bubble wrap or shrink wrap) should always be used as a second line of protection over fabric or paper. Since particle board furniture doesn’t breathe like solid wood or leather, the chipboard furniture pieces can actually be packed in plastic wrap as a first line of defence.
- Some household furniture has glass components (doors, shelves, panels, etc.) that can be covered with cut-out cardboard pieces. Lastly, add a bubble wrap sheet to finish the protective layer.
- Don’t place the protective materials directly over the delicate furniture piece but secure them with small pieces of packing tape.
By using some of these tips, you can really help protect those important pieces of furniture.
How Do I Go About Organising Self Storage with Go Box?
There are a number of options- you can fill in our online order form or you can phone us and organise it over the phone. During this we will organise when your self storage unit will be delivered and when your storage unit will be collected.
We Deliver, You Pack, We Store
Packing or moving doesn’t need to be stressful. At GoBox Self Storage, we offer great value self storage in the Greater Belfast area (stretching as far as Bangor, Lisburn, Crumlin, Templepatrick, Ballyclare and Carrickfergus). Our storage services have been specially designed to make your move simple, secure and convenient..it’s as simple as 1,2,3!
To book your storage solution, go to:
E: [email protected]
T: 028 9600 5005
NOTICE: We cannot store Food, Flammable Liquids (including Aerosols, Paints & Varnishes), Firearms or Illegal Substances.