Whether you are renovating or re-decorating, freeing up space in your home means that builders or painters can carry out their work- but what are your options to make the renovation as hassle-free as possible?
You have decided you are going to renovate your home. Whilst planning your new style is exciting, it brings with it a number of headaches. The biggest of these is working out what to do with all of your belongings.
Do you stuff them against a wall in your home or into a room not being renovated? Do you stick them in the garage (which may possibly squeeze out the car)? Do you ask someone to take your belongings whilst the work is being carried out? None of these options are particularly good and can cause nothing but continued stress and heartache.
Whatever you are planning to do to your home- whether it’s to a room or an entire space; renovations can turn your home upside down. You can easily end up living in a world of chaos for weeks or months on end until the work is completed.
The Problems with Renovating
If your renovation plan involves knocking down walls, installing a new kitchen or bathroom or something more substantial like an extension, there will be dust, and lots of it. Even if you prep and cover everything, dust will still find a way to cover EVERYTHING!
Another major problem incurred by a renovation is damaging furniture. Moving furniture from one room to another, or stuffing it into another room, can increase the risk of your furniture getting damaged. Equally, shoving furniture into a room that you use can make that room feel uncomfortable or unusable.
Why Choose self-storage for Your Renovation Project?
Self storage offers a number of benefits if you are planning a renovation project. These include:
- Keeping Furniture and Furnishings Damage Free: things wont get knocked over, spilled on or damaged.
- Space for Workers: free space gives builders and painters room to move around.
- Space for You: you can carry on using the other spaces in the home as normal.
- No Stress: you won’t have to keep moving furniture around to let workmen get their work done.
- Time: you can sort through your belongings in your own time.
- Dust Free: stored items remain clean and dust free.
- Access whenever you need it: and for as long as you need it.
- Safe and secure: furniture lying about the house can easily get damaged with workmen coming in and out, with storage, it’s out of the way.
Making the Most of a Self Storage Unit
If you choose a self storage option from GoBox Storage, here are a few tips to best utilise your storage unit:
- List it! – Six months down the line you may wonder where you put the Xbox- so make sure to list where everything has been packed.
- Declutter! – Now is the time to get rid of what you don’t need and declutter.
- Utilise Cardboard Boxes – Fill cardboard boxes completely and distribute items evenly throughout your storage unit.
- Protect Easily Breakable Kitchenware- If you have lots of plates, it is much safer to pack them vertically as this will reduce the chance of them breaking or chipping. If you run out of bubble wrap, utilise towels or socks to separate and protect.
- Reduce Spillages and Breakages- Toiletries are always at risk of spilling, so make sure to tape the bottle caps closed and put in sandwich bags. Jewellery can also be a problem to store so remember to utilise straws for necklaces and egg cartons, pillboxes or lunchboxes to stop items getting lost or broken.
- Other Odds and Ends – For all those other little things that don’t fit in any specific category, again utilise sandwich bags. Simply label and put away in a box.
- Take pictures of your electronics – Before you take anything apart, take a few photos of the connections at the back of them — future you will thank you!
- Large Items First! Large and bulky items should be placed into a unit first to form a robust base that will not press down on any less dense items.
We Deliver, You Pack, We Store
Packing or moving doesn’t need to be stressful. At GoBox Self Storage, we offer great value self storage in the Greater Belfast area (stretching as far as Bangor, Lisburn, Crumlin, Templepatrick, Ballyclare and Carrickfergus). Our storage services have been specially designed to make your move simple, secure and convenient..it’s as simple as 1,2,3!
To book your storage solution, go to:
E: [email protected]
T: 028 9600 5005
NOTICE: We cannot store Food, Flammable Liquids (including Aerosols, Paints & Varnishes), Firearms or Illegal Substances.